National Visa - Visa for research stay (Section 18d Residence Act)

20.07.2023 - Article

If you would like to apply for a visa for research stay, please prepare the following documents:


Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act see https://videx-national.diplo.de/


Two (2) recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos, white background)


Valid passport (personally signed and with at least 2 completely empty pages)


Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport


Signed research agreement or relevant contract with a German research institute (original and two (2) copies)
The research agreement/relevant contract needs to contain certain information. You can find a specimen here.


Proof of qualification: Proof of doctoral degree or university degree that allows access to doctorate programmes (all pages, original and two (2) copies)


Written commitment to cover costs emerging for public agencies up to six months after the end of the admission agreement (original and two (2) copies) – this is not required if the work of the research institute is primarily public funded or if there is a specific public interest

8. Proof of adequate financial means

To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 1.027 € per month
if they are not entering into a contract of employment. Proof of these financial means can
be provided through the admission agreement/relevant contract. If a contract of
employment is planned, proof of the statutory minimum wage must be provided. When
submitting an application, proof must be provided of financial means for the entire
duration of the stay.

In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in
time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official
confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid
in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not
include this information is not sufficient.

At the request of the Embassy only, after general approval of the visa:

Proof of adequate health insurance cover

If as an employee you are subject to mandatory statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to employment beginning and prior to being eligible for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.


Applicant of a nationality other than Oman:

Proof of habitual abode by valid Omani resident card (original and two copies)


Visa fee of 75 €. Must be paid in cash in OMR according to the current exchange rate.


Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.


Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalisation. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed. (For documents issued in Yemen: Please note that after the closure of the German Embassy in Sanaa, Yemeni documents can currently not be legalized by any German Embassy or Consulate).


Processing time is as a rule approx. 4 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.


Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.


The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.


Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.


General information:

Researchers are third-country nationals who

1. have a doctoral degree or a suitable university degree that allows access to doctorate programmes and

2. have been selected by a research institute and are allowed in the national territory of a member state

3. in order to engage in research for which such a qualification is normally required.

Note: This includes doctorate students unless they are enrolled at a German university to complete a full-time study programme leading to a doctoral degree as their primary activity.

Top of page