National visa- Visa to attend language courses which do not serve to prepare for a course of study (Section 16f Residence Act)

20.07.2023 - Article

If you want to apply for a visa to attend language courses please prepare the following documents:


Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act (see https://videx-national.diplo.de)


Two (2) recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos, white background)


Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages). (Applicants from Yemen please check if your passport is recognized at www.maskat.diplo.de/visa )


Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport


Proof of admittance to the language school (18 hours per week) (original and two (2) copies)


Where available: High school diploma and if applicable, certificates of academic qualifications (original and two (2) copies)


Curriculum vitae two (2) copies)


Letter of motivation two (2) copies)


Proof of adequate financial means


To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 1.027 € per month for the duration of the course. Proof must be submitted with the application of financial means (for example, in the form of a blocked account or a formal obligation (Verpflichtungserklärung) by a third person to cover all costs).

In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account:

Open the blocked account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not include this information is not sufficient. For further information on the opening of a blocked account for students in Germany please visit the website of the Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/sperrkonto/388600


In the case of preparatory language course or internship:

Acceptance for preparatory language course or internship


Applicant of a nationality other than Oman:

Proof of habitual abode by valid Omani “resident card” (original and two (2) copies. Yemen nationals with residency in Yemen need to provide copy of Omani visa and two (2) copies).

12. At the request of the Embassy only, after general approval of the visa:

Proof of adequate health insurance cover

In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions. Therefore check with your insurance provider that the insurance covers the entire stay.


Visa fee of 75 €. Must be paid in cash in OMR according to the current exchange rate.

14. Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.

Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalization. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.

16. As a rule, visa applications must be approved by the relevant foreigner’s authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
17. Processing time is as a rule at least 8 weeks but can take longer in individual cases

Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.

19. The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.

Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.


General information:

Foreigners may be granted a temporary residence permit to attend language courses which do not serve to prepare for a course of study and which last more than 90. The course must teach at least 18 hours per week. The maximum duration of the course is 12 months. If the language course and your stay are less than 90 days you need to apply for a Schengen visa.

During the language course, as a general rule, a temporary residence permit for another purpose can only be issued if the foreigner is legally entitled to it.

Top of page