National visa - Visa for skilled workers holding a university degree (Section 18b (1) Residence Act)

20.07.2023 - Article

If you want to apply for a Visa for skilled workers holding a university degree please prepare the following documents:


Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act see https://videx-national.diplo.de/


Two (2) recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos)


Valid and personally signed passport with at least two (2) completely empty pages


Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport


Completed form signed by your employer: Declaration of employment (original with two (2) copies)


From the age of 45: Proof of adequate provision for old age (original and two (2) copies (only if salary does not amount to at least 55% of the annual contribution assessment ceiling for the general pension insurance scheme – 2021: 48,180 € gross/per annum))


Proof of qualification: University qualification (all pages, original and two (2) copies)


Proof of recognition of the qualification:

-> Two (2) printouts from the anabin database on the qualification and on the institution

or (if the qualification is not assessed as “entspricht” (comparable) or “gleichwertig” (equivalent) and/or the institution is not classified as “H+”)

-> Statement of Comparability by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) (original with two (2) copies)

or (in the case of regulated professions in which permission is required to exercise the profession, for example, doctors, engineers; complete list is available from the Federal Employment Agency or the European Commission)

-> Permission to exercise a profession issued by the authority responsible for recognising qualifications or assurance of permission to exercise a profession (original and two (2) copies) (for example, for medical professions: decision of the licensing authority in the federal territory, i.e. assurance of permission to exercise a profession and/or issuing of medical licence)

More information on recognition: www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de


If as an employee you are subject to mandatory statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to employment beginning and prior to being eligible for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.


Applicant of a nationality other than Oman:

Proof of residence title/habitual abode through Omani Resident Card (original and two (2) copies


Visa fee of 75 €. Must be paid in cash in OMR according to the current exchange rate.


Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.


Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalization. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed. (For documents issued in Yemen: Please note that after the closure of the German Embassy in Sanaa, Yemeni documents can currently not be legalized by any German Embassy or Consulate).


The visa must be approved by the Federal Employment Agency and, where applicable, the competent foreigners authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.


Processing time is as a rule approx. 2 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.


Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.


The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.


Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.


General information

As a skilled worker with an academic qualification recognised in Germany, you can be issued with a residence permit to engage in skilled employment that your qualification enables you to perform.

You can find out more about living and working in Germany at

Link zur www.make-it-in-germany.com

Top of page