National visa - Visa for vocational training (Section 16a Residence Act)

20.07.2023 - Article

If you want to apply for a Visa for vocational training please prepare the following documents:


Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act (see https://videx-national.diplo.de )


Two (2) recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos)


Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)


Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport


Letter of motivation two (2) copies


Training contract in German (where applicable recognised by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce) signed by the employer and the trainee (original with two (2) copies)If stated in the deficit notification: registration for theoretical courses, in-company training measures (with further training plan) or exam preparation courses (original and two (2) copies)


Two (2) copies of the training plan


Where not otherwise confirmed by the training centre:
Proof of German language skills (at least B1 for qualified vocational training, otherwise as a rule at least A2)
Proof of registration for a preparatory intensive language course


Proof of adequate financial means

Proof of financing of at least 771 € net/927 € gross per month for the first year. If an unpaid preparatory German language course is being completed or if the trainee wage is lower, provision of the monthly shortfall of funds must be proven separately, for example, in the form of a blocked account.


Where applicable, authorisation to take up employment issued by the Federal Employment Agency/Central Placement Office of the Federal Employment Agency (ZAV)
Note: German employers can apply for the authorisation needed for the visa application directly from the Federal Employment Agency/ZAV by presenting the training contract. If this authorisation is presented with the visa application, the visa section can process the application much more quickly.

11.At the request of the Embassy only, after general approval of the visa:

Proof of adequate health insurance cover

If as a trainee you are subject to mandatory statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and begin your training. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to beginning your training and prior to being eligible for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.

Applicant of a nationality other than Oman:

Proof of residence of valid Omani residence (residence car) original and two (2) copies


Visa fee of 75 €. Must be paid in cash in OMR according to the current exchange rate.


Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.


Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalization. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed. (For documents issued in Yemen: Please note that after the closure of the German Embassy in Sanaa, Yemeni documents can currently not be legalized by any German Embassy or Consulate).


As a rule, visa applications must be approved by the competent foreigners authority or the Federal Employment Agency in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.


Processing time is as a rule approx. 4 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.


Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.


The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.


Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.


General information:

You can do vocational training in Germany if you have a training place in a company and German language skills (B1 for qualified vocational training, otherwise as a rule at least A2). If you are less proficient in German, you can however also attend a language course before starting your training.

You can find out more about living and working in Germany at


Top of page