National visa - Visa for measures regarding the recognition of foreign professional qualifications (Section 16d Residence Act)

23.07.2023 - Article

If you would like to apply for a visa for measures regarding the recognition of foreign professional qualifications, please prepare the following documents:


Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act (see https://videx-national.diplo.de)


Two (2) recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos)


Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)


Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport


Personal motivation letter (2 copies)


Detailed CV including educational and professional achievements (2 copies)


If applicable: current employment letter (2 copies)


If applicable: evidence of professional experience corresponding to the qualification (2 copies)


Notification by the German agency responsible for recognition of your foreign qualifications mentioning the adaptation measures required for the recognition of your foreign qualification (“Defizitbescheid”) original and two (2) copies)

More information on recognition: www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de


Admission/confirmation of all educational measures necessary for the recognition or professional licence (e.g. language course booking, preparatory courses for the assessment test (original and two (2) copies)


If stated in the deficit notification: registration for assessment test and where applicable registration for preparatory course for the assessment test (original and two (2) copies)


If a German language course is planned as part of training: registration confirmation from the language school indicating the number of hours per week of the booked course (intensive course with at least 18 hours per week) and confirmation of payment of the course fee (original and two (2) copies)


Proof of qualification, for example, diplomas, certificates and proof of completion (original and two (2) copies)


Proof of German language skills (original and two (2) copies) (As a rule at least B1). The language certificate must be based on a standardized language test in accordance with the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE). This currently applies to the certificates of the following institutions: Goethe-Institut e.V., telc GmbH, Austrian Language Diploma (ÖSD), ECL Examination Systems and “TestDaF


work contract and detailed job description for the period prior to the recognition (including binding confirmation of the employer that all necessary education measures can be concluded at full pay) and work contract and detailed job description for period after recognition of foreign qualification or


blocked account at a German bank for 10.584 €/year (2023) or

formal obligation letter according to section 66 to 88 German Residence Act by a person with permanent residence in Germany for the whole study period or


Note on the financing:
To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 882,- € net/1060 € gross per month. Proof of these means is to be provided in advance when the application is submitted. If a salary will not be received directly after entering Germany or if the salary is less than 818 € net per month, provision of the monthly shortfall of funds must be proven separately, for example, in the form of a blocked account.

In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not include this information is not sufficient. Proof of lodgement or transfer of funds without the aforementioned confirmation from the bank is not sufficient.


After approval of the visa: proof of adequate health insurance cover

As an employee you are subject to mandatory statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to employment beginning and prior to being eligible for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.


Applicant of a nationality other than Oman

Proof of residence title/habitual abode by valid Omani residency card (original and two (2) copies)


Visa fee of 75 €. Must be paid in cash in OMR according to the current exchange rate.


Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required. (For documents issued in Yemen: Please note that after the closure of the German Embassy in Sanaa, Yemeni documents can currently not be legalized by any German Embassy or Consulate).


Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalization. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.


The visa must be approved by the Federal Employment Agency in Germany or the competent foreigner’s authority. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.


Processing time is as a rule approx. 12 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.


Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.


The Embassy reserves the right to request further documents.


Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

Please do not contact the Embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.


General information

Skilled workers whose foreign qualifications are not (yet) fully recognized in Germany can take further educational courses to achieve the recognition of their qualification and to take up employment in their field. This applies for example for trained doctors without a German professional license (Approbation or Berufsausübungserlaubnis) or other professions as for example pharmacists, dentists, veterinarian and nurses. This visa allows you to get the required skills for a period of up to 18 months. After completion of the measures and full recognition of your degree, you can apply for permanent residence in Germany.

For more information on the recognition process please visit www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de

A visa can only be issued if the applicant presents the so-called ”Defizitbescheid“. This notification of deficits is issued by the authority that is responsible for the recognition of the qualification and the professional licensing. The notification has to establish that a certain educational measure or examination (occupational/language skills) is required for the recognition of the qualification or the professional licence.

Explanations about the recognition procedure:

The respective authority will check if the foreign qualification is as comprehensive as the German equivalent. If deficits are found, a notification of deficits will be issued in which necessary courses or examinations will be named.

In the field of health professions (especially for academic professions) this equivalent check can be replaced by a so-called ”Kenntnisprüfung“, which is an examination about contents of the German qualification. In that case the notification of deficits would only contain the requirement of a ”Kenntnisprüfung“. Normally this is the faster way to achieve recognition of the qualification.

Applications for the recognition of foreign qualifications / professional licenses can be launched from abroad. Some federal states only issue the notification of deficits, the recognition or the license if you can prove that you have been locking for a job in that federal state. Thus we recommend to already start looking for jobs from Oman and submit proof of that with your application for recognition of foreign qualifications.

You can find out more about living and working in Germany at


Top of page